The functional gastro intestinal conditions get diagnosed after doctors have exhausted all the mainstream medical tests to find a specific cause for the symptoms or cluster of symptoms. These symptoms are generally present for years and several medicinal and surgical treatments have also been tried with little or no benefit to the patient. Sometimes these patients have seen specialists but there remains no tangible explanation for the conditions. That is why they are considered as functional conditions.
Patients are often subjected to invasive diagnostic tests, such as endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, testing for gastro emptying time (GET), capsule endoscopy, litmus paper test and/or esophageal impedance, in the often-futile effort to obtain a diagnosis.
The symptoms experienced by the patient are real. The mainstream medical science has not evolved to a point where they can diagnose these functional conditions.
The most commonly used medical terms patients are given for these conditions are
- Right upper quadrant pain, functional; in this condition there can be other symptoms such as nausea and bloating. These symptoms wax and wane and may vary from a few minutes to a few hours.
- Chronic abdominal pain, functional; sometimes this condition comes with nausea.
- Chronic constipation, functional; this condition may have other symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating and nausea.
- Post-prandial diarrhea, characterized by the urge to go to bathroom or having diarrhea right after eating.
- Functional alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation.
Naturopathic treatments are available for these conditions. They can be used with traditional medications or without them. The following recommendations are to help educate the consumer about their choices. They are strongly encouraged to involve their doctor, should they decide to try the naturopathic treatment options.
The guidelines are:
- Right Upper Quadrant Pain: LV-GB Complex, GI Restore, Colon Care
- Constipation: Ascorbyl Palmitate, Colon Care, Probiotic Synergy
- Constipation with Pain: GI Restore, Probiotic Synergy, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Colon Care
- Postprandial Diarrhea: IB Soothe, Stomach Soothe before meals, Low Carbohydrate Diet, Probiotic Synergy, Intolerance Complex Digestive Enzymes Ultra
- Abdominal Pain: IB Soothe, Probiotic Synergy, Digestive Enzymes Ultra
Call 585.690.3782 for a Consultation
Do you suffer from:
- Food Sensitivity/ Allergy
- Inflammatory Bowel
- Autoimmune conditions
- Thyroid issues
- Joint Pain/Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Skin issues
- Mood Disorders
- Malabsorption issue