Anxiety is characterized by worry and tension in the absence of a real provoking environmental factor. It is noted that anxiety disorders develop generally early in life and also women are twice as likely to suffer from anxiety disorders. This is due to imbalance of the hormone levels. Do you have any of the following symptoms?
- Social Anxiety
- Performance Anxiety/ Public Speaking
- Worries/ Work related stress
Lifestyle Changes Recommended
1. Control stress. Keep some time for yourself and engage yourself in relaxing activities.
2. Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption
3. Participate in regular balanced exercise program that include high intensity exercise to enhance growth hormone release and calming exercise such as yoga and stretching. Recent studies have shown that yoga and tai chi increase thalamic GABA activity which is correlated to a better mood.
4. Practice good sleep habits and get 8-9 hours of sleep. If you have sleep issues then follow insomnia protocol.
1. Avoid processed sugars.
2. Avoid white flour and all refined carbohydrates including cereals and pasta. Also avoid breads, bagels and muffins made with yeast.
3. Avoid caffeine and diet sodas.
4. Get a balance of omega 3’s (salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines) and omega 9 fats (olive oil, olives, almonds, hazelnuts, and avocados).
5. Stabilize blood sugar by eating protein at every meal.
6. Snack on vegetables and small amount of almonds, olives, avocado, and celery with almond butter.
7. Do not skip meals.
8. Carry healthy snack bars or dried fruit and healthy meal packets throughout the day to prevent missing meals or snacks.